Sell my home? Yes, a kitchen will sell a home. Need to connect with a top Keller Williams agent to do a valuation or get some property advice, click here.
That and knowing it’s a buyer’s market means you could try home staging and specifically your kitchen! Wow, we have had such a fabulous response from you, our readers and we had such fun writing the article that we have decided to write another and see where this goes.
We got some fab responses from:
- Homeowners who have had their homes on the market for some time and are now contemplating some home staging. Remember the article we published about a buyer’s market.
- Homeowners that are finally coming around to the idea of selling their home and want it to look fantastic, sell fast and for a good price too. Remember to read our article about why you should use a partner like Keller Williams to sell your home..
- And then there were folk just like me who just need a little inspiration and motivation to get going. Spring is in the air and it’s time for a fresh look on a shoestring.
On the menu for today
Today we cover the most important thing you can do to sell your home in Randburg or make it look fantastic, in the most important room in your home. That’s right, decluttering your kitchen.
It’s all in the numbers when you sell your home
Statistics show that if you are selling your home, then your first consideration should be to declutter. Period. Without a doubt, decluttering is by far the most useful way of creating a more inviting home. The success rate is unbelievable at 95%! This means that if you only do one thing before you sell, you should declutter your home.
And again, statistics, depending on what stats you read shows that the kitchen is either the most important or the 2nd most important room in your home. Therefore, either way, the kitchen is important. So, focus your decluttering efforts on your kitchen. Because 84% of US buyers indicated that the kitchen was the biggest consideration when buying a home.
Whether you are selling your home or whether you just know it’s time to get going on a good clean up, decluttering can leave you feeling like you really have achieved something great. It’s quite cathartic. It’s an even better feeling to bless someone that needs your old stuff that you no longer need.
Where to start when you want to sell your home & improve your kitchen
If you feel overwhelmed with all the stuff you have to declutter, here are some tips to get you started:
- Start with one room at a time and because your kitchen is the heart of your home that’s where I started.
- If you do decide to tackle your kitchen first, break the project into smaller bits.
- I started with my kitchen drawers which really needed attention.
- Once I was done with the drawers I moved onto our pantry or grocery cupboards.
- I gave myself 2 weeks to finish my 1st project and with a small child of 5, I got distracted quite a bit which was a good call in hindsight.
- 2 weeks is what I took to go through my kitchen from top to toe and give it the decluttering it needed.
Tips to giving your kitchen a make-over
Ok, then the bit we are all waiting for, some affordable tips to staging your kitchen:
- Clean your kitchen. And with clean we mean clean and scrub. Your kitchen should not just shine, it should sparkle.
- Declutter. The rule is that if you have not used it in a year or more, get rid of it. Give it away. If it has passed its sell-by date toss it. Un-junk the junk drawer(s). Your kitchen counters should have nothing on them except for a few decorative canisters and no more than one or two appliances max. A de-cluttered kitchen will look bigger and more inviting.
- Does your kitchen smell great? Bake some cookies to make sure the smell permeates through your kitchen and your home. You don’t want last night’s chicken Korma lingering for days. Put a small capful of vanilla essence into a warm oven and let the warm smell permeate throughout your kitchen.
- Organise your kitchen. Line up your coffee mugs with handles pointing the same way. Alphabetise the spices. Stack your plates neatly and remove random plates that don’t match.
- Make your kitchen inviting. Only keep a few decorative canisters and basic cooking or banking utensils visible. You could keep a nice coffeepot or a nice mixer out, but nothing more. Include a nice healthy looking pot plant or a nice vase of fresh flowers looks great and smells good too. Also, a bowl of fresh fruit will do wonders to add the colour you need without breaking the bank.
- Add some colour. Hang a brand new set of bright tea towels to add some bright colour. Pop a cookbook under a big glass jug or vase and it with lemons or other brightly coloured fruit.
This is not my kitchen below. I never even thought to take photos, but this gives you a good idea of the before and after, using the tips we provided above. If you are in the home staging business and need an opportunity to advertise, please feel free to comment.
If you are selling in a buyer’s market also consider
- Meet with and work with a prominent estate agent from Keller Williams. We call it betting on Red.
- Don’t settle for the highest valuation it’s the oldest trick in the book, just to get your mandate.
- Consider the market carefully, especially with regards to the mandate. Remember we will always recommend a sole mandate because we believe in having agents invested in the sale of a property.
- Also when you work with a prominent estate agent, the commission if you award a sole mandate could be lower. It’s something to consider.
- Be diligent about setting the right asking price. It is imperative that you follow the advice of your agent to set the right asking price. In a buyer’s market, no matter how fabulously you stage your home if the asking price is wrong your home will not sell.
- A property valuation is also always free. Get an accurate property valuation. Schedule for a time that’s most convenient.
Get in touch
So, if you need a valuation done on a property in Randburg or elsewhere in SA, I can help. Give me, Sandy Graham a call or send me a WA to (083) 550-1220. Alternatively, drop me an e-mail at email@example.com. I have a vast network of almost 1,500 top Keller Williams agents at my fingertips who are all just dying for the opportunity to partner with you to sell and conclude your property transaction in record time.
If you want to view all the Keller Williams properties across the country click on our website to start the search for your dream home.
- Need to book a property valuation in Boskruin?
- Need to book a property valuation in Bromhof?
- Need to book a property valuation in Sundowner?
- Need to book a property valuation in Malanshof?
Estate Agents – want to know more about KW?
Keller Williams (USA) is a top real estate brand to work for. If you are an estate agent and want to know a little more drop me an e-mail. If you would like to leverage world-class technology to the benefit of all our stakeholders across the value chain and end up with a win-win every time, then let’s touch base. Also, read what makes Keller Williams the best!
Need to read up on more articles that you may find valuable, be sure to read through some of our content and advice:
- Randburg property trends (Oct 2021).
- Property prices in Bromhof
- Property prices in Sundowner
- Tips when selling property in a buyer’s market.
- Tips when selling property – bathrooms definitely sell homes
- What goes into preparing an accurate property valuation?
- What’s my property worth?
- Do you need a free property valuation?
- Sell your home fast but declutter 1st
- Get a pre-approval to ensure a successful property transaction
- The importance of setting the right asking price when you sell your home
- The Mandate and its Merit
- Moving home to get your little ones into the best schools in Randburg
- Buyer costs
- Sell my house and let’s consider the process and the costs when you sell
- Keller Williams a true disruptor to the real estate market in SA
- Downsizing and need something smaller?
- Properties for sale
- The Electrical Compliance Certificate